This brief feature appeared in the February 1945 issue of The Caribbean Breeze, along with several photos.—JW.
Sixth Air Force men stationed at Galapagos can count on their fingers the number of their luxuries, including such recreational features usually taken for granted as the P-X, theatre, beer garden and bowling alleys. Consequently it was really a big event for them when the service club was opened a short time ago.
As long as anyone on the island could remember, the club had been under construction. It had been proposed almost as soon as Sixth Air Force troops arrived on the “Rock” and plans had been drawn up as early as March 1943. At first, the enlisted men were assigned to the construction and they did contribute much of their spare time to gathering rocks from all parts of the island. They actually built most of the foundation and erected part of the walls, but then for a number of reasons the project slowed down. Finally, the post engineers were told to finish the club. They completed the walls, put on the roof and installed the interior fixtures. By the end of 1944—almost two years after it was fist contemplated—the building was ready for occupancy.
The service club is one of the most elaborate buildings anywhere in the Sixth Air Force area and in contrast to other structures on the island, it is really lavish. Constructed entirely of native lava, it blends in color with the surrounding rocky landscape.
Opening of the club has been one of the biggest events in the history of life at the “Rock.” The men feel that at last they have nearly all the comforts of civilization—even a spot where they can enjoy the informality of the corner drug store back home.